Thursday, May 24, 2007

Convergence of digital and physical world

Given my geeky Web2.0-crazed background, I can't help but constantly think of ways in which those web2.0 concepts can be applied to a big real estate developer, such as my current workplace. For the past few weeks, the thought of combining the virtual awe of Second Life with a "real" real estate project launch seemed to make more sense every time I think about it. Well, as with all more "new" ideas, someone else have already done it before. An example is the hotel that Starwood was about to build but decided to put up a virtual model on Second Life first (link here). I think that's a really cool idea. I wonder if I can convince some folks within the company to consider using this method as a marketing tool. Justifying the virtual land cost and design cost would be abit difficult. But I have no doubt in my mind that this is the way to go, but I'm still not entirely sure if this is the time. After all there've been plenty of instances for big corporates to venture into Second Life, yet the impact has been less than stellar. Hmm...perhaps I should ask my boss what he thinks of it (possibly at the risk of appearing silly..)...then again, I should "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

No comments: