Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Solo gig at Esplanade Library

2 weeks ago I managed to talk some time off work (finally!) and did a solo gig at the library in Esplanade. It's been a while since I do a full set by myself (street-singing is a different story of course), so I really want to seize this chance to do only originals. The last time I did a full show singing my own originals was more than 2 years ago, so it felt really great to re-experience my own music again.

While I couldn't afford the time to fully prepare for the gig (in fact I only decided on the song list that very morning), I thought the whole thing went well. I was quite surprised too when I found out that my name was actually mentioned in Straits Times (the local newspaper) in the FYI section (I guess the National Library Board probably submitted the event to Straits Times). It read something like "Michael Cho will discuss the different aspects of song-writing". Well, I wasn't gonna do any discussion on that topic, but I was definitely gonna do all originals. To my surprise though a few people actually turned up because of what they read in the newspaper. I hope they didn't leave the show feeling disappointed, though I tried my best to describe the background behind each song that I penned.

It's also the first time that my whole family (including Tammy's gong gong, mum and Nicholas) turned up for my show. I'm not too sure if my folks actually appreciate my kind of music, but I think my 2 other brothers seem to enjoy it. It's a pity that we didn't get enough time to rehearse; if not we could have pulled off 1 or 2 songs together. I'm really looking forward to the day when the 3 of us are jamming on the same stage.

Anyway, more videos and pics later:



No comments: