Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Dreams are for...fools?

Something happened at work today. Without going into the details, it suffice to say that it was a "wake-up" call...it wasn't like I didn't perform or make a major mistake at work, but it reminded me of how little I really care about what I was doing. I knew I needed some direction, and naturally, I went to YouTube and searched for Steve Jobs' commencement speech again...



It was still as inspiring as the first time i heard it. One part stood out for me:

"When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

Then I remembered that little piece of paper I pasted on my office desk. I wrote it on my first day at work last year, as a reminder to myself..similar to the "Why am I here?" note I had during my 4 years of college...and it (the one on my office desk) read something like this:

"Why am I here?

1. To keep an open mind
2. To keep learning
3. To stay humbled
4. To do something for society
5. To live today as if it's my last"

I barely get a chance to look at that piece of paper nowadays. And when I do, I feel a sense of shame...that I'm short-changing myself...yes, i guess i'm learning new things...i try to keep an open mind but i realize it gets harder these days...controlling my ego is one thing that i'm managing so far but i feel that i've let down myself when it comes to point 4 & 5...and when I listen to Steve's speech..and his point on asking yourself in the mirror every morning about whether one would do what he/she's about to do for the day if this should be his last...i'm afraid this is a question i cannot say yes to for the past whole year...

the passion is missing...it is not healthy at all...something needs to be done...

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

旅行に行った時についでにヤって¥7OOOOもらったww
旅費が浮くどころか遊びまくったよヽ( ・∀・)ノ
http://houkei.yycola.net/gyaku/