Saturday, March 04, 2006

Naked Demonstration

So, I was walking from my Japanese class to my research lab when I passed by an unusually huge crowd in front of the University Hall. At first I heard a mini band playing one of those familiar marching band music and thought that it was some kind of celebration. Well, turns out that it was a demonstration against the university's apparel manufacturers, who allegedly use sweat shops to produce the t-shirts and sweatshirts. It would have been another typical public demonstration in this hyper-social-conscious campus, except that these demonstrators made a big point that they would refuse to wear the Berkeley's line of apparel, by going naked. The whole thing had an almost-festive mood to it, with the demonstrators trying to drag by-standers to strip too while the cops stood around to "maintain order" and had fun videotaping the entire event....

No comments: